Vladimir Al. Zhavoronkov. State registration of vehicles in Russia: history and present time
Vladimir Al. Zhavoronkov - Candidate in Law, associate professor, Russian University of Transport
Abstract. The current paper is devoted to the development of the system of state registration of vehicles in Russia, from the moment vehicles appeared on the roads of the country to the present day. The author has gradually and consistently described the changes that took place in this area of state activity when the number of vehicles increased in the country and there were socio-economic transformations in the state and society. A certain place in the paper has been given to the attributes of the state registration of vehicles such as state registration plates, their evolution from a means of ensuring tax revenues to the state treasury to an essential and mandatory element of the national system of registration of vehicles, ensuring their strict accounting and being an effective means of preventing violations of the legislation by owners and drivers of vehicles, as well as the fight against illegal actions in the field of road safety and certain types of criminal offenses. A significant attention in the paper has been paid to the transformations in the system of state registration of vehicles in the period from the end of the last century, when the rapid growth of the vehicles began in Russia and the rate of motorization of the country’s population increased, to the present days. The author has clearly shown those cardinal changes in the system of state registration of vehicles, which made it possible to streamline and largely simplify the process of registering vehicles in the relevant state bodies. There has been shown the possibility of using the current advantages of digital and information technologies for these purposes. The current paper has pointed to certain problems that exist in this area of social relations. In particular, the author has drawn attention to the problem of the so-called “great numbers”, which is actively discussed both on the pages of scientific publications and in the media. The attempts to solve the problem, unfortunately, have so far been unsuccessful.
Keywords: state registration of vehicles; state registration plates; provision of vehicle registration services.
- Polnoye sobraniye zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii [Complete collection of laws of the Russian Empire]. — Sobraniye 3-ye. — Tom XII. — № 8708. — Sankt-Peterburg, 1893.
- Sbornik deystvuyushchikh dogovorov, soglasheniy i konventsiy, zaklyuchennykh s inostrannymi gosudarstvami [Collection of existing treaties, agreements and conventions concluded with foreign states] / sostaviteli A. V. Sabanin, V. F. Orlov-Yarmak. — Moskva : NKID 1931. ― Vypusk VI.
- Tarkhov, S. A. Gorodskoy transport Rossiyskoy imperii v gody pervoy mirovoy voyny [Urban transport of the Russian Empire during the First World War] / S. A. Tarkhov // Ekonomicheskiy zhurnal. — 2014. — Vypusk 4 (36). S. 84—129.
- Sobraniye uzakoneniy i rasporyazheniy pravitel'stva za 1920 g. — Upravleniye delami Sovnarkoma SSSR [Collection of legalizations and orders of the government for 1920 - Administration of the Affairs of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR]. — Moskva, 1943. S. 377—380.
- Zimanov, L. L. Organizatsiya gosudarstvennogo ucheta i kontrolya tekhnicheskogo sostoyaniya avtomobiley [Organization of state accounting and control of the technical condition of cars]: uchebnoye posobiye / L. L. Zimanov. — Moskva : Akademiya, 2011.
- Zhavoronkov, V. A. Transformatsiya sudebnoy ekspertizy markirovochnykh oboznacheniy transportnykh sredstv i yeye metodov na rubezhe XX―XXI stoletiy [Transformation of forensic examination of vehicle markings and its methods at the turn of the XX-XXI centuries] / V. A. Zhavoronkov // Transportnoye pravo i bezopasnost'. — 2022. — № 1(41). — S. 62—70.
- Sal'nikov, A. A. Aktual'nyye problemy registratsii avtotransportnykh sredstv v Rossiyskoy Federatsii [Actual problems of vehicle registration in the Russian Federation] / A. A. Sal'nikov // Vestnik Nizhegorodskoy akademii MVD Rossii. — 2014. — № 1(25). — S. 162—164.