Yuriy Iv. Petrov - Candidate of Historical Sciences, docent, associate professor of the department ‘Customs Law and Organization of the Customs Affairs’ of the Law Institute of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. In Russia of the middle of the XIX-th century the active development of railway transport formed a firm conviction among the public and the government in the necessity to revise approaches to administration in the industry. The current paper has shown that the railway construction was actually funded by the government for many years, but at the same time, the administration of the entire railway business was practically uncontrolled by private entrepreneurs. The current paper has analyzed the steps aimed at finding a rational balance in the railway administration between individuals and the government in the second half of the XIX-th century. There has been presented a position of such prominent foreign representatives of the science of financial law as K. Rau, A. Wagner, P. Leroy-Beaulieu, who categorically spoke out for the ownership of the railways to the treasury, as well as the scientists and specialists of the railway business in Russia. A comparative analysis of approaches to the construction and government of railways in England, Belgium and France, as well as the accumulated, albeit small, experience in Russia made it possible to conclude that a wise policy in the railway business had to be recognized as one in which governemet administration was combined with the private, but due to necessity and usefulness at a given time.
Keywords: history; railways; private and government administration; S. Yu. Witte; railway buyout.
- Ozerov, I. KH. Ekonomicheskaya Rossiya i yeye finansovaya politika na iskhode XIX i v nachale XX veka [Economic Russia and its financial policy at the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries]. ― Moskva, 1905.
- Pushkarev, S. G. Rossiya 1801―1917: vlast' i obshchestvo [Russia 1801―1917: Power and Society]. ― Moskva : Posev, 2001.
- Golovachov, A. A. Istoriya zheleznodorozhnogo dela v Rossii [History of the railway business in Russia]. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 1881.
- Vitte, S. YU. Konspekt lektsiy o narodnom i gosudarstvennom khozyaystve, chitannykh yego imperatorskomu vysochestvu velikomu knyazyu Mikhailu Aleksandrovichu v 1900―1902 godakh. ― Moskva, 2011.
- Tarasov, I. T. Ocherk nauki finansovogo prava [Essay on the science of financial law]// Finansy i nalogi: ocherki teorii i politiki. ― Moskva, 2004.
- Yanzhul, I. I. Osnovnyye nachala finansovoy nauki [Basic principles of financial science]: Ucheniye o gosudarstvennykh dokhodakh. ― Moskva, 2002.
- Martynov, S. D. Gosudarstvo i ekonomika: sistema Vitte [State and economy: the Witte system]. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 2002.
- Kutler, N. N. S. YU. Vitte [Witte]// Novyy entsiklopedicheskiy slovar' F. A. Brokgauza i I. A. Yefrona. ― 1913. ― T. 10.
- Statisticheskiy yezhegodnik Rossii. 1904 g [Statistical Yearbook of Russia]. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 1905.
- Anan'ich, B. V. Rossiya i mezhdunarodnyy capital [Russia and international capital]. ― Leningrad, 1970.
- Yeliseyeva, I. I. Politika zheleznodorozhnykh tarifov v Rossii [The policy of railway tariffs in Russia]// Istoriya finansovoy politiki : sbornik statey. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 2000.