Yury Iv. Petrov - Candidate of Historical Sciences, docent, associate professor of the department ‘Customs Law and Organization of the Customs Affairs’ of the Law Institute of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. The current paper has considered the government's new intention in the 1860s towards to develop private railway entrepreneurship issuing concessions to the railway companies. There has been shown that this fact contributed to the rapid enrichment and the emergence of oligarchs in Russia in the 19th century, and that this caused the ‘railroad fever’. There has been considered the role of the government railway fund, the goals of its establishment, sources of formation and directions of use. There has been shown the role of the first Minister of Railways P. P. Melnikov in the fight against abuses in the railway, the government's awareness of the main mistakes in the concession policy and its concrete solutions of this problem.
Keywords: history; concessions; railway legislation; ‘Railway kings’; railway societies; P. P. Melnikov.
- Golovachov, A. A. Istoriya zheleznodorozhnogo dela v Rossii [History of railway business in Russia]. — Sankt-Peterburg, 1881.
- Nasha zheleznodorozhnaya politika po dokumentam arkhiva Komiteta Ministrov. Istoricheskiy ocherk, sostavlennyy nachal'nikom otdeleniya kantselyarii Komiteta Ministrov N. A. Kislinskim [Our railway policy according to the documents of the archive of the Committee of Ministers. Historical sketch compiled by the head of the office of the Committee of Ministers N. A. Kislinsky]. Tom pervyy. — Sankt-Peterburg, 1902.
- Del'vig, A. I. Moi vospominaniya [My memoirs]. Tom 2. — Izdaniye Imperatorskogo Moskovskogo i Rumyantsovskogo muzeya. — 1913.
- Martynov, S. D. Gosudarstvo i ekonomika: sistema Vitte [State and economy: Witte's system]. — Sankt-Peterburg, 2002.
- Ministry i narkomy putey soobshcheniya [Ministers and People's Commissars of Railways]. — Moskva, 1995.
- Gindin, I. Gosudarstvennyy bank i ekonomicheskaya politika tsarskogo pravitel'stva [State Bank and the economic policy of the tsarist government]. — Moskva : Gosfinizdat, 1960.
- Gavlin, M. L. Dinastiya fon Mekk. «Zheleznodorozhnyye koroli» i metsenaty [Dynasty von Meck. "Railway kings" and patrons]. — Moskva, 2016.
- Vitte, S. YU. Vospominaniya [The Memories]. — Moskva, 1960. — T. 1.
- Voronin, I. I. About P. P. Mel'nikov. 1804-1880 / M. I Voronin., M. M. Voronin. — Leningrad : Nauka, 1977.
- Finansovoye polozheniye russkikh obshchestv zheleznykh dorog k 1 yanvarya 1880 g [The financial position of the Russian railway companies by January 1, 1880]. — Sankt-Peterburg, 1882.