Marianna Yu. Filippova - Candidate of Law, associate professor, Russian University of Transport (MIIT)
Abstract. International maritime law is deservedly considered one of the most interesting legal formations. Surrounded by a halo of romance, largely based on legal customs coming from the depths of centuries, bearing the spirit of freedom and sailor brotherhood since ancient times, maritime law, like the boundless sea itself, always leaves space for new discoveries. The current paper deals with the issues of the emergence of legal regulation of the labor of seamen in the early sources of maritime customs. There has been studied the evolution of the relationship between the captain and the ship’s crew. There has been formulated the content of the “master's power” of the captain in relation to the crew and its main features.
Keywords: maritime custom; maritime law; ship’s crew; captain; hiring on a ship; power of an employer; The Rolls of Oléron; Hague-Visby Rules; Maritime law of the Hanseatic league.
- Rykachev, V. N. Morskoye torgovoye pravo. Sravnitel'nyy sistematicheskiy ocherk zakonodatel'stva SSSR, Anglii, Germanii i Frantsii [Maritime trade law. Comparative systematic essay on the legislation of the USSR, England, Germany and France]. ― Moskva, 1928.
- Morskoy zakon rodostsev // Antichnaya drevnost' i sredniye veka : sbornik statey. [The marine law of the Rhodians // Ancient antiquity and the Middle Ages: a collection of articles]― Vypusk 6. ― Sverdlovsk, 1969.
- Fedorov, A. F. Morskoye pravo [Law of the sea]. ― Odessa, 1913.
- Dogovory kommercheskogo prava. Akty chastnopravovoy unifikatsii v sisteme istochnikov dogovornogo torgovogo prava [Contracts of commercial law. Acts of private law unification in the system of sources of contractual commercial law]: uchebnoye posobiye dlya vuzov / pod redaktsiyey V. A. Belova. ― Moskva : Izdatel'stvo Yurayt, 2023.
- Tal', L. S. Trudovoy dogovor. Tsivilisticheskoye issledovaniye. Chast' II. Vnutrenniy pravoporyadok khozyaystvennykh predpriyatiy [Labor contract. civil research. Part II. Internal law and order of economic enterprises]. ― Yaroslavl', 1918.
- Khambre, K. F. Privatnoye morskoye kommercheskoye pravo na osnovanii sushchestvuyushchego shvedskogo zakonodatel'stva [Private maritime commercial law based on existing Swedish law]. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 1872.
- Pardessus, J.―M. Us et coutumes de la mer, ou Collection des usages maritimes des peuples de l'antiquité et du moyen âge. ― Tome 1. ― P. 4. ― Paris, 1847.
- Chudinovskikh, E. Torgovoye naseleniye Dalmatinskikh gorodov, Antichnaya drevnost' i sredniye veka [The commercial population of the Dalmatian cities, Ancient antiquity and the Middle Ages]. ― Sverdlovsk, 1965.