Vladimir Al. Zhavoronkov - Candidate of Law, associate professor of the department ‘Criminal law, criminal procedure and criminalistics' of the Law Institute of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. The current paper has considered some of the features of the mechanism of traffic accidents caused by tailgating another vehicle. There has been substantiated the urgency of the study with the presentation of the necessary statistical data characterizing the state of traffic safety both in our country and abroad. There has been reviewed domestic and foreign scientific sources, which highlighted the problem under study and the problems directly related to it (setting the driver's reaction time, speed limit when moving, stopping and braking, etc.). The paper has also paid attention to some psychological characteristics of the driver's personality and their influence on the possibility of an accident. Studying the issues of ensuring traffic safety, the author has proposed, in addition to using internal reserves to reduce traffic accidents, to rely on the positive foreign experience accumulated by other countries in this direction. Considering the theoretical issues related to the definition of a safe distance, the author has confirmed the significant impact of this indicator on traffic safety with the collected experimental data. The current paper has also analyzed some methods for determining the safe and optimal distance between vehicles in the traffic, substantiated the necessity for additional research in this direction on the basis of specialized scientific institutions that have an appropriate experimental base. In conclusion, the author has proposed to make some amendments to the legal and regulatory framework governing the traffic rules and the operation of vehicles.
Keywords: vehicle; safe distance; driver reaction; reasons for traffic accidents; ensuring traffic safety.
- Cheruiyot, K. W. RFID-based location based services framework for alerting on black spots for accident prevention / K. W. Cheruiyot, G. Okeyo, W. O. Ochieng // Egyptian Informatics Journal. Available online. — 2021 // URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1110866521000426.
- Wang X. Incorporating accident liability into crash risk analysis: A multidimensional risk source approach / X. Wang, Z. Qu, H. Li // Accident Analysis & Prevention. — 2021. — Vol. 153 (Cover date: April 2021). — Article 106035.
- Radhakrishnan, R. Automatic vehicle accident detection and rescue system / R. Radhakrishnan, L. A. Nellisserry, M. Parvathy // Materials Today: Proceedings Available online. — 2021 // URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/ search? authors=Reshma%20Radhakrishnan%2C%20Livin%20Anto%20Nellisserry%2C%20M.%20Parvathy.
- Lee, S. M. Development of a new traffic safety education material for the future drivers in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia / S. M. Lee, A. I. Al-Mansour // Journal of King Saud University — Engineering Sciences. — 2018. — Vol. 32. I. 1 (Cover date: January 2020). — P. 19—26.
- Zhang, C. Exploring relationships between microscopic kinetic parameters of tires under normal driving conditions, road characteristics and accident types / C. Zhang, J. He, H. Zhang // Journal of Safety Research Available online. — 2021 // URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022437521000724.
- Symons, J. Reduced Road Traffic Injuries for Young People: A Preliminary Investment Analysis / J. Symons, E. Howard, P. Sheehan // Journal of Adolescent Health. — 2019. — Vol. 65. I. 1. Supplement (Cover date: July 2019). — P. 34—43.
- Ivasik, D. V. Problemy obespecheniya bezopasnosti dorozhnogo dvizheniya [Problems of road safety] / D. V. Ivasik [i dr.] // Elektronnyy nauchnyy zhurnal «Inzhenernyy vestnik Dona». — 2019. — № 3.
- Van, TS. Sostoyaniye dorozhnogo dvizheniya v Kitaye [The state of road traffic in China] / TS. Van, I. YU. Solodovchenko // Obrazovaniye i nauka v Rossii i za rubezhom.— 2020 — № 6 (Vol. 70) // URL: https://www.gyrnal.ru/statyi/ru/2185/.
- A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets: In: AASHTO. — 1990.
- Nikolaou, P. European Countries’ Road Safety Evaluation by Τaking Ιnto Αccount Multiple Classes of Fatalities / P. Nikolaou, K. Folla, G. Yannis // Transportation Research Procedia. — 2021. — Vol. 52 (Cover date: 2021). — P. 284—291.
- Dorozhno-transportnaya avariynost' v Rossiyskoy Federatsii za 2020 god. Informatsionno-analiticheskiy obzor [Road transport accidents in the Russian Federation in 2020. Information and analytical review]. — Moskva : FKU «NTS BDD MVD Rossii». — 2021.
- Pires, C. Car drivers' road safety Car drivers' road safety performance: A benchmark across 32 countries / C. Pires, K. Torfs, U. Meesmann // IATSS Research. — 2020. — Vol. 44. I. 3 (Cover date: October 2020). — P. 166—179.
- Lewis, I. Slow down! Get off that phone! The impact of a high school road safety education program in influencing whether a young person speaks up to a risky driver / C. Pires, K. Torfs, U. Meesmann // Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. — 2021. — Vol. 78 (Cover date: April 2021). — P. 353—368.
- Baranchikova, M. V. Osobennosti profilakticheskogo vozdeystviya sredstvami foto- i videofiksatsii na lichnost' dorozhno-transportnogo narushitelya, dopuskayushchego prevysheniye skorostnogo rezhima [Peculiarities of preventive action by means of photo and video recording on the personality of a road traffic offender, who allows exceeding the speed limit] / M. V. Baranchikova, T. V. Mal'tseva // Psikhopedagogika v pravookhranitel'nykh organakh. — 2016. — № 4(67). — S. 49—53.
- Zhang, Y. Who uses f a mobile phone while driving for food delivery? The role of personality, risk perception, and driving self-efficacy / Y. Zhang, Y., Huang T. W. Case // Journal of Safety Research. — 2020. —Vol. (Cover date: June 2020). —P. 69—80.
- Naglyuk, I. S. Opredeleniye propusknoy sposobnosti polosy dvizheniya na avtomobil'nykh dorogakh i gorodskikh ulitsakh [Determination of the bandwidth of traffic lanes on highways and city streets] / I. S. Naglyuk [i dr.] // Avtomobil'nyy transport. — Vyp. 42. — 2018. — S. 89—97.
- Kuvatov, V. I. Metod rascheta dinamicheskogo gabarita avtomobilya v usloviyakh raznorodnogo potoka transportnykh sredstv [Method of calculating the dynamic dimensions of a car in conditions of a heterogeneous flow of vehicles] / V. I. Kuvatov, D. V. Koz'movskiy, I. G. Malygin // Transport: nauka, tekhnika, upravleniye. — 2012. — № 11. — S. 23—26.
- Suvorov, YU. B. Sudebnaya dorozhno-transportnaya ekspertiza. Sudebno-ekspertnaya otsenka deystviy voditele i drugikh lits, otvetstvennykh na obespecheniye bezopasno dorozhnogo dvizheniya, na uchastke DTP : uchebnoye posobiye [Forensic road transport examination. Forensic expert assessment of the actions of the driver and other persons responsible for ensuring safe road traffic on the road accident site] / YU. B. Suvorov. — Moskva : Ekzamen; Pravo i zakon, 2003.
- Yermakov, F. KH. Distantsiya bezopasnosti do dvizhushchegosya vperedi transportnogo sredstva i bezopasnaya skorost' dvizheniya [Safety distance to the vehicle moving in front and the safe speed of movement] / F. KH. Yermakov // Transportnoye pravo. — 2011. — № 4. — S. 14—17.
- Kuvatov, V. I. Vybor ratsional'nykh znacheniy skorosti i distantsii mezhdu avtomobilyami v plotnom transportnom potoke [Choice of rational values of speed and distance between cars in dense traffic] / V. I. Kuvatov, D. V. Koz'movskiy, I. G. Malygin // Transport Rossiyskoy Federatsii. — 2012. — № 6(43) — S. 17—19.
- Gyulev, N. U. Vliyaniye transportnogo zatora na vremya reaktsii voditeley raznykh temperamentov [Influence of traffic congestion on the reaction time of drivers of different temperaments] / N. U. Gyulev, V. K. Dyulev // Vostochno-Yevropeyskiy zhurnal peredovykh tekhnologiy. — 2012. — № 6/3. — S. 69—71.
- Kol'churin, A. G. Opredeleniye vremeni reaktsii voditelya pri rassledovanii dorozhno-transportnykh prestupleniy [Determination of the driver's reaction time in the investigation of road traffic crimes] / A. G. Kol'churin // Obshchestvo i pravo. — 2016. — № 4 (58). — S. 128—130.
- Zhuk, M. Research on drivers’ reaction time in different conditions / M. Zhuk, V. Kovalуshуn, Kh. Barvinska // Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies. — 2/3 (86). — 2017. — С. 24—31.
- Durrani, U. Predicting driver reaction time and deceleration: Comparison of perception-reaction thresholds and evidence accumulation framework / U. Durrani, C. Lee, D. Shah // Accident Analysis & Prevention. — 2020. — Vol. 149 (Cover date: January 2021). — Article 105889.
- Ivanov, V. N. Nauka upravleniya avtomobilem [The science of driving] / V. N. Ivanov. — 2-ye izd., pererab. i dop. — Moskva : Transport, 1977.
- Vlasov, A. A. Algoritmicheskoye obespecheniye sistem podderzhaniya distantsii mezhdu avtomobilyami [Algorithmic support of systems for maintaining the distance between cars] / A. A. Vlasov // Sovremennyye nauchnyye issledovaniya i innovatsii. — 2014. — № 9. Chast' 1 // URL: https://web.snauka.ru/issues/2014/09/38259.