Yuriy Iv. Petrov - Candidate of Historical Sciences, associate professor of the department ‘Customs law and organization of the customs affairs’ of the Law Institute of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. The current paper has examined the government's steps to improve the rules for granting concessions to joint stock companies for the railway construction in Russia in the second half of the XIXth century. Miscalculations in the granting of the first concessions in the early 1860s prompted the government to develop new conditions for their grant, including elements of competition. The paper has noted that even with the limitations of new measures there were achieved certain positive results due to the first minister of railways P. P. Melnikov. When the earl V.A. Bobrinsky was appointed as the Minister of Railways in 1870, he introduced the new concession rules, the analysis of which showed that lack of competition in the provision of concessions and empowering the Minister of Railways has led to a new wave of concessionaires abuse, resulted in the introduction of new rules in 1873.
Keywords: history; concessions; rules for granting concessions; railway societies; ministers of railways.
- Gavlin, M. L. Dinastiya fon Mekk. «Zheleznodorozhnyye koroli» i metsenaty [The Fon Meck dynasty. "Railway kings" and patrons of the arts]. — Moskva, 2016.
- Golovachov, A. A. Istoriya zheleznodorozhnogo dela v Rossii [History of the railway business in Russia]. — Sankt-Peterburg, 1881.
- Korelin, A. P. Dvoryanstvo i torgovo- promyshlennoye predprinimatel'stvo v poreformennoy Rossii (1861―1904) [Nobility and commercial and industrial entrepreneurship in post-reform Russia (1861―1904)]// Istoricheskiye zapiski. ― Tom 102. — Moskva : Nauka, 1978.
- Pobedonostsev K. P. i yego korrespondenty [Pobedonostsev KP and his interviewers]. Tom 2. — Minsk : Kharvest, 2003.
- Solov'yeva, A. M. Zheleznodorozhnyy transport Rossii [Railway transport of Russia]. — Moskva : Nauka, 1975.
- Rabota po ekspluatatsii zheleznykh dorog i podvizhnogo sostava [Work on the operation of railways and rolling stock] // P. P. Mel'nikov — inzhener, uchenyy, gosudarstvennyy deyatel' : sbornik statey, dokumentov, vospominaniy. — Sankt-Peterburg : Gumanistika, 2003.
- Pushkarev, S. G. Rossiya 1801―1917: vlast' i obshchestvo [Russia 1801―1917: Power and Society]. — Moskva, 2001.
- Nasha zheleznodorozhnaya politika po dokumentam arkhiva Komiteta Ministrov [Our railway policy according to the documents of the archive of the Committee of Ministers]. Istoricheskiy ocherk, sostavlennyy nachal'nikom otdeleniya kantselyarii Komiteta Ministrov N. A. Kislinskim. ― Tom 2. — Sankt-Peterburg, 1902.