Sergey An. Taraskaev - Candidate of Law, associate professor of the department of informational technologies in jurisprudence and document supply of management, Law Institute of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. The paper discusses the current state and prospects of forensic research of locking and sealing devices used in the freight transportation by railway. There has been given statistical information of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs on the theft of railway freights committed from 2017 to present. It has been noted that the investigation of these crimes is of great difficulty, since on average 35% of all recorded crimes remain unsolved over the year. There has been considered the general characteristic of locking and sealing devices permitted in the Russian Federation and used in the railway freight transportation. The author makes a conclusion that the expert’s opinion is a reliable source of evidence used in criminal proceedings. The paper has analyzed the objectives of the forensic research of locking and sealing devices, the object and stages of the study. The author has considered the main methods of unauthorized impact on locking and sealing devices. There has been formulated an approximate list of issues that can be solved by trace evidence examination. The author has also come to the conclusion that in order to improve the forensic expert activity on establishing methods and mechanisms for unauthorized impact on locking and sealing devices used in railway transport facilities it is necessary to develop a modern unified integrated methodology. In the author’s opinion the methodology may include uniform recommendations for forensic experts with reference materials on the dismantling algorithm for locking and sealing devices with photographic materials, and systematization of possible methods of unauthorized impact on locking and sealing devices according to the experience in this field.
Keywords: freight transportation; a locking and sealing device (ZPU); rolling stock; crimes against property; special knowledge; transport; trace evidence examination.
- Gribunov, O. P. Osobennosti provedeniya trasologicheskogo issledovaniya zaporno-plombirovochnykh ustroystv pri rassledovanii khishcheniy gruzov iz podvizhnogo sostava gruzovykh poyezdov [Features of a trasological study of locking and sealing devices in the investigation of theft of goods from rolling stock of freight trains]// Problemy pravookhranitel'noy deyatel'nosti. — 2016. — № 2.
- Plomby mekhanicheskiye: spravochnoye posobiye [Mechanical seals] / pod obshchey redaktsiyey V. V. Krylova. — Moskva : Intekrim-press, 2014.
- Rasulova, N. S. Problemy proizvodstva sudebnoy ekspertizy v stadii vozbuzhdeniya ugolovnogo dela [The problems of the production of a forensic examination at the stage of a criminal case]// Sudebnaya ekspertiza. — 2015. — № 4 (44).
- Sharobarov, D. V. Istoriya, sovremennyy etap i perspektivy sovershenstvovaniya deyatel'nosti organov vnutrennikh del na transporte: sb. materialov Mezhdunarodnoy nauchn.-prakt. Konferentsii [History, the current stage and prospects for improving the activities of the internal affairs bodies in transport]. — Moskva : Akademiya upravleniya MVD Rossii, 2018.
- Yakovleva, L. A. Osobennosti naznacheniya i organizatsii mekhanoskopicheskoy ekspertizy plombirovochnykh i zapirayushchikh ustroystv [Features of the purpose and organization of mechanoscopic examination of sealing and locking device]// Vestnik Vostochno-Sibirskogo instituta Ministerstva vnutrennikh del Rossii. — 2017. — № 1 (80).