Olga R. Afanasieva - Doctor of Law, docent, professor of the department ‘Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure and Criminalistics’ of the Law Institute of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. Road safety is one of the important government concerns, which was once again noted in the Strategy for road safety in the Russian Federation for 2018-2024. In this regard, in order to increase the efficiency of administrative punishment, since 2005, the government has been implementing measures aimed at tightening and adjusting the norms of law establishing administrative liability for committing administrative offenses in the field of road traffic. The author, having analyzed the changes in the dispositions and sanctions of the administrative legislation norms, identified the main trends in their change. As one of the trends of interest, there has been noted a set of changes in administrative legislation, implying increased administrative liability of individuals and legal entities for the most serious administrative offenses in the field of road traffic. Meanwhile, after analyzing the correlation between changes in administrative legislation and a number of factors characterizing the severity of the law, the author has concluded that there is a slight correlation between the value of administrative punishment and the level of offense. In continuation of the above assumption, the author has given a number of arguments confirming the low efficiency of the system of administrative punishments for committing offenses in the field of road traffic, and therefore, the tightening of liability. In the current paper, the author has negatively assessed the focus on the fiscal and financial functions of administrative punishment in the form of an administrative fine to the detriment of the educational and preventive functions of punishment. In the paper, the author has also provided the study results of the appointment and execution of an administrative fine for administrative offenses in the field of road traffic. There has been concluded that the modern approach, associated with toughening of administrative liability for the violations under consideration, seems, at first glance, to be justified, but the results of the study have raised the question of the expediency and low efficiency of an endless increase in penalties.
Keywords: administrative punishment; enforcement; traffic; administrative punishment/penalty; efficiency.
- Alekseyev, S. S. Obshchaya teoriya prava : kurs v dvukh tomakh. ― Tom 1 [General theory of law: a course in two volumes] / S. S. Alekseyev. — Moskva : Yurid. lit., 1981.
- Dorozhno-transportnaya avariynost' v Rossiyskoy Federatsii za 2020 god. Informatsionno-analiticheskiy obzor [Road transport accidents in the Russian Federation in 2020. Information and analytical review]. — Moskva : FKU «NTS BDD MVD Rossii», 2021.
- Kir'yanova, O. V. Effektivnost' deyatel'nosti organov gosudarstvennoy vlasti v realizatsii tseley administrativnykh nakazaniy [The effectiveness of the activities of public authorities in the implementation of the goals of administrative punishments] / O. V. Kir'yanova // Problemy organizatsii organov gosudarstvennoy vlasti i mestnogo samoupravleniya: istoriya, teoriya, praktika i perspektivy : sbornik nauchnykh trudov / otvetstvennyy redaktor N. V. Keshikova. ― Irkutsk, 2013.
- Korolev, A. N. Kommentariy k Pravilam dorozhnogo dvizheniya Rossiyskoy Federatsii [Commentary on the Road Traffic Rules of the Russian Federation] / A. N. Korolev, B. V. Rossinskiy. ― 2-ye izd., peresm. ― Moskva : Norma, 2011.
- Kuragin, G. G. Faktory effektivnosti administrativno-pravovykh sanktsiy [Factors of the effectiveness of administrative and legal sanctions] / G. G. Kuragin, L. L. Popov // Pravovedeniye. — 1974. — № 4. — S. 37―45.
- Molchanov, P. V. Zakonodatel'stvo ob administrativnoy otvetstvennosti v oblasti dorozhnogo dvizheniya: osnovnyye etapy i tendentsii razvitiya [Legislation on administrative responsibility in the field of road traffic: main stages and development trends] / P. V. Molchanov // Administrativnoye pravo i protsess. — 2018. — № 5. — S. 44―47.
- Rogacheva, O. S. Effektivnost' norm administrativno-deliktnogo prava [Effectiveness of the norms of administrative and tort law] / O. S. Rogacheva. ― Voronezh, 2011.
- Rossinskiy, B. V. Administrativnyye nakazaniya v sfere dorozhnogo dvizheniya i avariynost' na avtomobil'nom transporte [Administrative penalties in the field of road traffic and accidents in road transport] / B. V. Rossinskiy // Administrativnoye pravo i protsess. — 2014. — № 5. — S. 8―17.