Nikolay Al. Dukhno - Doctor of Law, professor, advisor to the administration of the Russian University of Transport
Viktoriya N. Samokhina - assistant of the advisor to the administration of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. The study of the development of transport universities contributes to the restoration of a complete and comprehensive picture of the development of transport education as the main means of educating transport workers. When getting acquainted with the origins of establishing the Moscow Engineering School, the first predecessor on the long and eventful path of the formation of the Russian University of Transport, there have emerged a lot of new facts. The establishment of the Moscow Engineering School in 1896 marked the beginning of the crystallization of a new methodology for training engineers. The great scientist and teacher Nikolai Pavlovich Petrov became the founder, scientific ideologist of this method of training railway engineers. His ideas, deeply imbued with scientific thought, became the basis of a new methodology for teaching future engineers that had not been used in Russian universities before. He also prepared a training program for engineers. The new methodology included enhanced theoretical teaching while reducing classroom time; determination of criteria indicating how much and what theory should be included in the educational process for the formation of engineering knowledge; requirements for teachers of engineering sciences; identifying ways of practical training in the training of engineers. N.P. Petrov became an ideologist, the founder of the concept of establishing a new transport university. The study of the scientific heritage of N.P. Petrov should be included in the educational process of training transport engineers, developing in everyone the ability for engineering thinking and interest in engineering knowledge.
Keywords: Nikolai Pavlovich Petrov; methodology for training engineers; the ratio of theoretical and engineering knowledge.
- Klyuchevskiy, V. O. Kurs russkoy istorii [Course of Russian history] / V.. O. Klyuchevskiy. ― Tom 5. ― Moskva : Mysl'.1989.
- I. M. (Imperatorskoye Moskovskoye) inzhenernoye uchilishche: 14 sentyabrya 1896 g. Izdano po rasporyazheniyu otvetstvennogo redaktora zhurnala «Zheleznodorozhnoye Delo» [IM (Imperial Moscow) Engineering School: September 14, 1896 Published by order of the executive editor of the magazine “Railway Business’]. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 1896.
- Obrazovatel'nyye zadachi Rossii: vvidu predstoyashchego perevorota politiko-ekonomicheskikh otnosheniy yeye s narodami Zapada i Vostoka, vyzyvayemogo rasprostraneniyem nashikh zheleznykh putey: rech' N. P. Petrova [Educational tasks of Russia: in view of the upcoming revolution of its political and economic relations with the peoples of the West and the East, caused by the spread of our railways. N.P. petrov’s speech]. — Sankt-Peterburg : Tip. A. S. Suvorina, 1899.
- Petrov, M. N. Nikolay Pavlovich Petrov: Ocherk zhizni i idey [Nikolai Pavlovich Petrov: Essay on life and ideas]. ― Leningrad : Izdatel'stvo Russkoye tekhnicheskoye obshchestvo, 1925.
- Lyudi russkoy nauki: Ocherki o vydayushchikhsya deyateley yestestvoznaniya i tekhniki [People of Russian science: Essays on outstanding figures in natural science and technology]. ― Tom II. Gosudarstvennoye izdatel'stvo tekhniko-teoreticheskoy literatury. ― Moskva; Leningrad, 1948.
- Petrov, M. N. Tvorets gidrodinamicheskoy teorii treniya — Nikolay Pavlovich Petrov [Creator of the hydrodynamic theory of friction - Nikolai Pavlovich Petrov] // v knige: Petrov N. P. Gidrodinamicheskaya teoriya smazki. Izbrannyye raboty. ― Moskva : Izdatel'stvo Akademii nauk SSSR, 1948.
- Zheleznodorozhnyy transport // Bol'shaya rossiyskaya entsiklopediya. ― Moskva, 1994.