Yury Iv. Petrov - Candidate of Historical Sciences, docent, associate professor of the department “Customs Law and Organization of the Customs Affairs” of the Law Institute of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. The current paper has made attempts to show the contribution to the technical education development, made by Nikolai Pavlovich Petrov, the main ideologist of the establishment of a new educational institution in the Ministry of Railways and the author of the project of the Moscow Engineering School. There have been considered the theoretical views on the system of engineering education in Russia. There have been shown the drawbacks of the higher technical school, the main of which was the discrepancy between the number and volume of subjects intended for compulsory study. There have been considered the types of technical schools, the use of which was associated with the goals of specialists’ training. There have been given the Petrov’s requirements to the teaching staff of technical universities, their professional qualities, participation in research work. The paper has determined the significance of the theory for future engineers, attributed by Petrov to the fact that the empirical stage was over and the growing industrialization required a new qualitative technique and technology that directly depended on the theory.
Keywords: history; Nikolai Pavlovich Petrov; transport education; educational establishments; engineering education; theory in education.
- Petrov, YU. I. Sibirskaya transportnaya magistral': opyt i uroki [Siberian transport highway: experience and lessons] / YU. I. Petrov // Transportnoye pravo i bezopasnost'. ― 2016. ― № 8. ― S. 56―65.
- Vereskun, V. D. Istoriya inzhenernogo obrazovaniya v Rossii : uchebnoye posobiye [History of engineering education in Russia: textbook] / V. D. Vereskun, YU. D. Mishin. P. M. Postnikov. — Moskva : FGBOU «Uchebno-metodicheskiy tsentr po obrazovaniyu na zheleznodorozhnom transporte», 2014.
- Petrov, N. P. Tipy vysshikh tekhnicheskikh shkol [Types of higher technical schools] / N P. Petrov. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 1897.
- Kostomarov, V. I. Osnovopolozhnik teorii gidrodinamicheskogo treniya v mashinakh N. P. Petrov [The founder of the theory of hydrodynamic friction in machines NP Petrov] / V. I. Kostomarov, A. G. Burgvits. — Moskva : Mashizdat, 1952.
- Petrov, N. P. Chemu i kak nuzhno uchit'sya v vysshikh tekhnicheskikh shkolakh? [What and how should you study in higher technical schools?] / N P. Petrov. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 1897.
- Petrov, N. P. Kakova dolzhna byt' vysshaya tekhnicheskaya shkola? [What should be a higher technical school?] / N P. Petrov. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 1897.
- Paton, Ye. O. Vospominaniya [Memories] / Ye. O. Paton. — Moskva : Molodaya gvardiya, 1958.
- Busarov, V. G. «Bez svetocha teorii…» O vydayushchemsya russkom uchenom i gosudarstvennom deyatele Nikolaye Pavloviche Petrove [“Without the light of theory ...” About the outstanding Russian scientist and statesman Nikolai Pavlovich Petrov] / V. G. Busarov, B. A. Levin. ― Moskva : MIIT, 2003.
- Petrov, N. P. Obrazovatel'nyye zadachi Rossii vvidu predstoyashchego perevorota politiko-ekonomicheskikh otnosheniy yeye s narodami Zapada i Vostoka, vyzyvayemogo rasprostraneniyem nashikh zheleznykh dorog. Rech' na godovom obshchem sobranii IRTO [Educational tasks of Russia in view of the upcoming revolution of its political and economic relations with the peoples of the West and the East, caused by the spread of our railways. Speech at the annual general meeting of the IRTS] / N. P. Petrov // Zapiski IRTO. ― Sankt-Peterburg, 1899.