Marina An. Popova - post graduate of the department ‘Criminal law, criminal procedure and criminalistics’ of the Law Institute of the Russian University of Transport
Abstract. In Criminal law, a mercenary motive is one of the predominant motives that has a criminal and legal value due to its rather frequent consolidation in criminal law norms, both as an obligatory sign of the subjective side of the crime, and as an additional or optional one. Meanwhile, in the criminal legislation there is neither legal definition of a mercenary motive, nor a section or chapter highlighting the list of mercenary crimes that make up the predominant part of modern crime. The gap is filled up by the various interpretations of both a mercenary motive and mercenary crimes, accompanied by their multiple classifications according to various criteria. Undoubtedly, a theft is one of the mercenary crimes, which is a significant part of all registered criminality in the Russian Federation, as well as crimes committed on transport. In this regard, the current paper has presented a brief criminological description of thefts committed on rail, air, river and maritime modes of transport. For this purpose, the author has analyzed the dynamics of thefts for the period from 2015-2019, identifying and evaluating their share in the structure of transport crime. The author has noted that the greatest number of thefts was committed annually in rail transport, therefore, they could act as a statistical image of thefts committed on transport. This fact has predetermined the author’s choice when characterizing the state and dynamics of certain types of thefts, including those committed on trains, at railway stations and stations, theft of goods on railway transport, theft of petroleum products, metals.
Keywords: mercenary motives; motive of crime; crimes against property; criminality; mercenary crimes; theft.
- Borisov, A. V. O nekotorykh aspektakh ob"yektivnoy storony ugona transportnogo sredstva [On some aspects of the objective side of car theft] // Transportnoye pravo i bezopasnost'. — 2017. — № 4 (16). — S. 31―39.
- Veklenko, V. V. Kvalifikatsiya khishcheniy chuzhogo imushchestva [Qualification of theft of another's property]: avtoref. dis. … d-ra yurid. nauk. — Yekaterinburg, 2001.
- Gernet, M. N. Izbrannyye proizvedeniya [Selected works] / sostavitel' M. M. Babayev, otvetstvennyy redaktor A. B. Sakharov. — Moskva : Yurid. literatura, 1974.
- Goncharova, M. V. Retsidiv korystnykh prestupleniy i yego preduprezhdeniye [Relapse of self-serving crimes and its prevention]: dis. ... d-ra yurid. nauk. — Moskva, 2014.
- Dal', V. I. Tolkovyy slovar' zhivogo velikorusskogo yazyka [Explanatory Dictionary of the Living Great Russian Language]. — Moskva : Gos. izd-vo inostr. i nats. slov., 1955. ― Tom 2.
- Kompleksnyy analiz sostoyaniya prestupnosti v Rossiyskoy Federatsii po itogam 2016 goda i ozhidayemyye tendentsii yeye razvitiya [A comprehensive analysis of the state of crime in the Russian Federation according to the results of 2016 and the expected trends of its development] / O. R. Afanas'yeva [i dr.]. — Moskva : FGKU «VNII MVD Rossii», 2017.
- Kriminologiya : uchebnik dlya bakalavrov [Criminology: a textbook for bachelors] / pod redaktsiyey YU. M. Antonyan. ― Moskva : Izdatel'stvo Yurayt, 2012.
- Kriminologiya : uchebnik i praktikum [Criminology: a textbook and a workshop] / O. R. Afanas'yeva, M. V. Goncharova, V. I. Shiyan. — Moskva, 2019.
- Ozhegov, S. I. Slovar' russkogo yazyka [Dictionary of the Russian language] / pod obshchey redaktsiyey S. P. Obnorskogo. — 3-ye izd. ― Moskva : Gos. izd-vo inostr. i nats. slovarey, 1953.
- Tolkovyy slovar' russkogo yazyka [Explanatory dictionary of the Russian language] / pod redaktsiyey D. N. Ushakova. ― Moskva, 1935. ― Tom 1.